Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Go Home, Rodger!

I am like the Rodger of the Writing Center. Not like Mr. Rodgers (who spends more time playing with puppets than he does visiting the neighbors he professes to love, which I find a little disturbing), but like Rodger from Sister Sister, who invited himself over to the girl's house any time he wanted and practically lived at there. I am nearly as obnoxious as Rodger, cracking lame jokes, interrupting conversations, and stealing food from people's lunch; but unlike Rodger, I never get the feared, "Go home!" In fact, these people invite me to steal their food and laugh at my lame jokes. How cool is that?

Most people don't even realize that I don't work here. My name isn't on the board, and I never wear a name tag, but outsiders automatically assume that since I'm in with the writing tutors, I must be one myself. No such thing, folks, I just work with English 1000 classes. I'm not cool enough to work here.

I am cool enough, however, to answer the phone. I did so the other day, because everyone else was too lazy to stand up. With Amanda prompting me, I was able to fumble through setting up a tutoring appointment. How cool is that?

Maybe if they have an opening next semester, I can get my name on the board and have a box in the back room. Until then, I will just use their fridge and computers for my own intents and purposes.

No comments: