Monday, September 15, 2008

Fish and Chips

Professor Petersen is random, just so you know. (It's true, you are!) He was especially so today. He had us bring in a paper with forty-two things we could potentially write a story on (I wrote forty-three, because I'm just a rule-breaker like that). Then he organized us into random groups and had us pick ten random words from random dictionaries. Then he randomly selected people to switch groups, taking the random words with them and randomly giving them out to their new group members. After that, we traded the aforementioned papers and initialed five story ideas--Robert Olen Butler would have my head for using that term--that caught our interest. The accumulation of all of this stuff is this: we need to select a story idea that we think would be the best, compare it to what people said they were interested in, and tell how we could incorporate into the story the two random words we were given as well as a third that was assigned to the entire class. And now I've just summarized to you my entire hour in creative writing. Neat.

So the story I'd like to tell is number 33, "Shameless hussy." This happened over the summer and it makes me laugh every time I think about it. It seems my group mates agree with me, as three out of the four selected it. Shameless hussy is just not a phrase people use anymore (except for my mother, apparently).

The story mainly takes place at a wedding reception, but there were no fish, so my first word, "tarter sauce," will have to be incorporated in a different way. I was pretty attractive that night, so I think I'll say I looked "zingy, like tartar sauce on catfish." (I know, cheesy, huh? This story is going to have an interesting narrative style, I can tell already.)

My other word is "point," as referring to a prominent headland that juts out to sea. I'm a little lost on this one, but I think I'll play with how I plowed into the party. I was like Moses, my friends; the sea didn't stand a chance.

The word given to the class was "illiterate." I'll use that to describe Sio's girlfriend. She was so illiterate in how to work his family. Me, I'm like a fish in water with them. A fish minus the tartar sauce in this instance. Yay for fish smilies.

P.S. I'm sorry for being a parenthesis whore today.

P.P.S. There's subtext.

No comments: