Monday, September 22, 2008

Dunbar, I no longer lament to wear the mask

Just about every day before creative writing starts, I subject Kirstin and Alison (and everyone else within range of my mellifluous voice) to my own commentary on what I'm wearing that day. "This is my ADD necklace. I love having something to do with my hands." "I decided I'm so happy today that it would be a sin to be three inches shorter, so I wore my black heels." "I love curling my hair, but I hate how it looks afterwards, so I always end up pulling it back." "I was in a really weird mood this morning. I chose a plain t-shirt." "I kind of feel like a gypsy today with my scarf and ego earrings."

Well, I didn't actually say that last one in creative writing. Kirstin wasn't there today, so I decided to postpone it until I saw Wendy in Spanish. And then post my daily comment here, so Kirstin and Alison don't miss out.

I'm really not obsessed with fashion. I break a lot of the rules. I don't have many new clothes this year. But dressing up, even when it seems I don't have time for it, is very important to me. It gives me something to focus my energy on and clears my thoughts, like a strange kind of meditation. It's my own alone time, since my roommate and I go through our morning rituals at different times of the day. Most of all, knowing that I look nice lends me confidence and a positive attitude that I hope rubs off on others as I go about cheerful and relaxed.

1 comment:

Kirstin said...

Wow, I feel special. =) Thanks for the commentary.